Wednesday, April 4, 2012

And the winner is: Kym

Hello all,
               Yesterday was the day we all have been waiting for. We had the appointment with Kym's oncologist Dr. Pai. Although we got the news informally last week, we found out yesterday that Kym is in Total Remission. She has no active Cancer anywhere in her body. Nothing on her scans but a few enlarged lymphnodes, and those are just scar tissue. Even as I type it now my eyes well up. 9 months ago when all this started we had no idea what we were in store for. But we made it.
               I thought I new how strong Kym was, but I had no idea. This cancer rocked her but didnt knock her out. For me it was like being the "corner man" for a boxer in a title match. Round after round I watched her toe the line and punch, never backing down. The cancer threw some punches that phased her but Kym's grit got her threw it. And then it happened, in the later rounds she started throwing bombs. It was like watching any of the great fighters. When they dig down and find another gear and then everyone knows they are about to see an awesome knockout.
                When she started all this I asked her if she had ever been in a real fist fight. I told her the only advice I could offer is when you get tired, and you start to doubt whether your stronger than the other person you just have to keep throwing punches. Dont ever be the first to pause. Always stay on offense...Boy did she ever. Even when her numbers were low, she felt the worse she ever has, she kept punching. And that my friends is how you when a fight.
                I would like to thank everyone for your support, prayers and kind thoughts and words. Lots of people were in her corner and we will Never forget you for that. She will have follow up appointments and scans in the fall, but everyone seemed pretty sure that it is not coming back. This will be my last blog entry. So thank you for allowing me to be Kyms voice threw all of this. Please dont hesitate to call or email her to tell her hi. She is beginning a workout program through the livestrong.com foundation with a trainer. This will help her get her body back in shape to go back to work. We are so excited to start our new lives together cancer free.
                  I will leave you with a picture and a cheesy quote. The picture is from our recent celebratory trip to Boston for St. Patrick's Day, at the Dropkick Murphys Concert. It is a little foul but hey, so are we. I just think the look on her face says it all.
                  So until we meet again remember:

                 "You never stop fighting until the fight is done"

    Koy

No comments:

Post a Comment